The “Battle on 42nd Street” was a notorious, hand-to-hand bayonet charge fought on the island of Crete between Anzac soldiers and members of the German 5th Alpine Division, during Nazi occupation of the island in WW2. Stopping the advancing German troops in their tracks, it was a brief yet defining moment for the Australian and New Zealand soldiers, which changed the face of that war, forever.
Seventy-nine years to the day, hear Professor Peter Monteath, historian and author of Battle on 42nd Street: War on Crete and the Anzacs’ bloody last stand, in conversation with Megan Spencer, broadcaster and creator of the podcast From A Whisper To A Bang! as they discuss the campaign in Crete; the most modern and the most ancient of wars.
- Presenters: Professor Peter Monteath and Megan Spencer
- Date: Wednesday 27 May, midday
- Location: Education Centre, Shrine of Remembrance Melbourne
- Address: Birdwood Avenue, Kings Domain, Melbourne, VIC, 3001.
- Cost: $5, free for Shrine Friends.
- Bookings at this link or phone the Shrine on (03) 9661 8100.
From A Whisper To A Bang! is an unforgettable podcast about wartime remembrance, commissioned by the Australian War Memorial.