Episode 01, “Harry’s story, Megan’s pilgrimage”
In Episode 01 Megan introduces the story of her grandfather Corporal “Harry” Spencer, 2/7 Btn., 2nd A.I.F. A prisoner of war (POW) in Germany for four years during World War 2, Harry was one of several thousand ANZACs captured by the German Army in 1941 during the ill-fated ‘Battle of Crete’.
Harry’s story is the catalyst for interviews, conversations and insights that broaden our understanding of history, remembrance, and the very human consequences of war. What kind of an effect did being a POW have on Harry and his family – then and even now?
A chance family reunion – revealing the inter-generational ripple effects of two world wars – inspires Megan to embark upon an epic, international, life-changing pilgrimage to recover the past and practice remembrance, walking in the shoes of her ancestors…
Full episode credits
‘From A Whisper To A Bang!’ is produced, written and presented by Megan Spencer, commissioned by the Australian War Memorial.
Episode 01 of ‘From A Whisper To A Bang!’ was first published on the Australian War Memorial website on 31 January, 2019. Dur: 57:59.
- Finn Ellis
- Heath Bigg
- Sienna Bigg
- The Last Post: Greg Kimball (MC) and Private Christopher Freymeyer (reader) from the Australian War Memorial.
- Joanne Whiteman (family reunion)
- Office of Strategic Services Audio – Courtesy: National Archives and Records Administration.
- Glen Eley and Cinetone Moviesound Productions.
- Gaga Music, Jim White, George Xylouris
- The Australian War Memorial – Amanda Dennett, Andy Heaney, the DEX team, the Historians and Collections teams.
- To everyone who contributed to this episode and to the Spencer family.
Harry was not on the ‘Costa Rica’ vessel that was sunk during the evacuation from Greece. In his memoir he says that en route to the port he became separated from his unit and was instead evacuated from mainland Greece to Crete on the “HMAS Perth”.
More info about the sinking of the Costa Rica.
The graphic novel that Adrian Threlfall co-wrote with Hugh Dolan, is Reg Saunders, An Indigenous War Hero. Adrian is also the author of Jungle Warriors.
More about the 2/7th Infantry Battalion on the Australian War Memorial website
Or click here for full episode credits and additional information.